Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's a Brand New Day

My morning walk today was a delightful change from the usual. I had read recently that to be successful in maintaining an exercise regimen you should mix it up, and not do the same thing day after day. Well, I have been on pretty much the same path for many months, but today, today was a whole different critter entirely.
After dropping my daughter off at her new summer engagement I drove a short way to Fort Ward Park. Instantly there was a difference from my usual routine in that where I walked, for the most part, no cars could speed past me (I'm always hopeful the usual speeders are not distracted on their cell phone or whatever and mow me down). Just the sound of birds, barking seals, and the wake of the passing ferry braking onto the shoreline.
I signed up for a short run coming up in July with my daughter, my first race ever, and I thought I better get some substantive running time in. Through the woods, along the shore, past lovely old bungalows with views of Mount Rainier I had to stop for a few minutes to soak in the dramatic view. Just as I rounded the bend at my favorite part of the island where narrow South Beach Road is braced against the tides just above the edge of the sound I saw the distinguished massive figure of a mature bald eagle, which was being harassed by a seagull. He was sitting on the remains of an ancient pier surveying the tidal flats for yummies. His sturdy bright yellow legs and rapier talons were impressive with their telling strength. Just to my right, weaving its way through the blackberry bramble, was the flash of a goldfinch. I haven't seen a goldfinch in many years here. What a treat. And then, it was just this opera unfolding in front of me, a seagull with a clam in its beak flying at full speed dropped its booty onto the beach boulders. Success, he broke open the shell and ate the meat with ease. The seals were barking all the while off on the channel marker. The saturated smell of the lowish tide and the muskiness of the tall grasses in full efflorescence, still ladened with morning dew, added another dimension to the rich sensory experience. Mt. Rainier was only visible on its lower flanks as the top was enclosed in clouds. The ferries passed each other in front of me as they made their way through the narrow channel. I turned around with renewed enthusiasm and ran all the way back through the park to my car, a feat not easily achieved by this old body.
I'll be back tomorrow.
And on the cancer research front, great breaking news for those that were loosing hope, new findings from the Fred Hutch Cancer Research Center has successfully beat metastasized melanoma into remission: http://www.fhcrc.org/about/ne/news/2008/06/18/T_cells.html

Have a good day!

No comments: