Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Something New

I'm going to try something new this year. We'll see how long it lasts. Each week I am going to quote something that I have read that just gets to me, makes me dream, makes me laugh or inspires me. This week's quote comes from the travel section of The New York Times article about Banff National Park, a place that I have long wanted to visit. Under a two page wide photograph of a single ice skater on frozen Lake Louise buried in the story reads:

"In the waning hours of the day, the town of Banff is lovely. The sun takes its time sinking into the west, and the deepening indigo of the sky limns the surrounding mountains with startling clarity." --Matt Gross

He hooked me. I want to go right now.

Back home on late Sunday night when the snow kept falling and falling until we had four inches by 10 pm Mr. and I went out for a walk. The stillness was punctuated by the crash of tree limbs under the weight of the snow in the woods. The whiteness everywhere created such light in the winter night. It was magical.

No comments: