Sunday, December 14, 2008

Winter Joy


I know it's not technically winter yet, but looking outside at the 2" of snow you would certainly be fooled. I love all the reflected light off the snow that makes the house glow inside, especially at this low point of the sun's arc in the sky. Snow always buoys my soul if I don't have to drive anywhere. The crunch under foot sends me back to my month in Vermont long ago. That texture transports me to a world away from responsibility and to a place of limitless imagination. It was a window on unimpeded life that I could not have enjoyed if not for the support of my wonderful family.
Yesterday I enjoyed a morning with my family as we all, except the U student, ran in the Solstice Run 1 mile race, in the mid thirties temperature with a strong wind, brrrr. Through the race I looked just ahead and convinced myself to pass people that I thought could possibly be in my age group with success. Later my daughter was awarded first place in her age group, and I, the most unlikely recipient, won for my age group (and I might add at the upper most reaches of that age group of ten long years)! This little victory was so joyous for a person that had always been in the last to be chosen category for school sports teams. I truly was hoping for third place, so I was shocked to have won, plus I received a week membership at the gym. I don't know how to use any gym equipment. It will be mighty embarrassing to use that prize. Snow + a blue ribbon, life is good near the lowest apex of the sun.

No comments: