Thursday, October 02, 2008

Edibles in the Public Realm

As I drove past the elementary school this morning, and saw a woman picking rose hips, I thought that our public landscapes should have far more edible plants, that it should become public policy to help feed people, especially as the world struggles with high food costs. Rosalind Creasy (she takes gorgeous photographs of edibles) impassionedly lectured on edibles while I was in college yet her zeal for food plants has never caught on in the public realm. I've always tried to have bird habitat in my public plantings but I think it's time for a human edible movement. Not only should everyone be encouraged, ala Victory Gardens, to plant edibles at home, but to share the public lands for food production. Lawn only sucks up water and fertilizer and fuel to cut it in the public landscape. How about digging up some of that grass and planting blueberries? Even if no one picked them the birds would enjoy them.

No comments: