Friday, May 30, 2008

Vastlands

Ahh, the feel of some heat last weekend while in Pasco was a pleasant alternative to the recently dank Puget Sound. Driving solo for four hours, listening to great music, and traveling through the gorgeous wide expanse of Eastern Washington was so meditative. I love the open treeless landscape, the rolling grasslands, and the regular patterns of sagebrush dotting terrain punctuated by deep gorges. I feel so at ease in that vast landscape where the sky is uninterrupted and clouds, in all their variety, are more dramatic. I've never been to Montana but I appreciate Big Sky Country. That transition from sageland to Ponderosa Pine forests, more noticeable on the way back, is so dramatic and compressed while climbing up to the Cascade range. The photo above was taken out the car window while driving upwards of the speed limit just outside of Pasco. I stopped in Prosser to visit The Sewing Basket, a tiny very old house that is packed from floor to ceiling, in room after room, with the greatest collection of quilting fabrics anywhere that I have seen in Washington. I wish I could stop in there all the time for my projects. Here's what I picked while in this sweet shop.

No comments: